Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dijon, continued

Saint-Michel Church

Francois Rude (1784 - 1855), a native son of Dijon, is a sculptor to reckon with in France, with two sculptures in the Louvre and the commission for part of the decoration on the Arch de Triomphe in Paris. This sculpture, called Departure of the Volunteers of 1792, represents La Marseillaise, the French national anthem:

Hebe, in the Musee des Beaux Artes:

Poor Phillipe II le Hardi (Phillipe the Bold); he built a Carthusian monastery, Chartreuse de Champmol (1383-88) outside of Dijon to house his remains and he did wind up parked in the choir there for a bit. In 1792, his body was transferred to Dijon Cathedral, but the following year his tomb was damaged by revolutionaries and looters. It was restored in the first half of the 19th century, and is today in the former palace of the dukes, now part of the Musée des Beaux-Arts of Dijon.


No comments: