Sunday, April 19, 2009


La Sainte-Chapelle, consecrated in 1248, is a Gothic chapel on the Île de la Cité built to house 30 relics of Christ purchased by Louis IX from the Latin emperor of Constantinople in 1239, although the money was actually paid to the Venetians, to whom the relics had been pawned. The relics cost three times more than the construction cost of the chapel.

No comments: