The aristocratic town of Rethymno, with its buildings dating from the 16th century, still charms; it was captured by the Ottomans in 1646 and ruled by the Turks for nearly three centuries.
The Rimondi Fountain was built in 1626 by the Venetian Rector (Governor) of Rethymnon, A. Rimondi. Water runs from three lions' heads into three basins between the four fluted Corinthian columns with acanthus-leaf capitals.
This 15th century Venetian church was converted to a mosque in the 17th century during the Turkish occupation. Although the minaret is a bit precarious now, the building itself is used as a conservatory hall.