background

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pompeii

Time to leave Rome, however, and take the train to Naples. On our way from Naples to Positano on the Amalfi Coast, we stopped at Pompeii, an enormous ruin, and very poorly marked, so I can’t identify a number of these photos, I’m sorry to say. I hope you will enjoy them anyway! This is the gladiator barracks for the adjacent theater. I think it’s sweet that poppies bloom there now:




A winged lion’s foot at the entrance to the theater. For reasons that escape me, I seem not to have taken a photo of the theater itself. Oh, well...



This was marked as the House of Cornelia, obviously a wealthy woman:
 
 

 A street view. Contrary to popular belief, the stones set across the paving were not to allow chariots to pass, but to provide stepping stones when the streets were flushed with water to remove waste:

   

No comments: