background

Friday, January 10, 2014

Cappadocia

Cappadocia is one of the strangest places, geographically speaking, I've ever been. Soft tufa capped by basaltic lava flows have eroded away to pleated hillsides and towers called 'fairy chimneys.' Here's what's left of Mt. Erciyes, the volcano that started all the trouble:


For centuries, people have carved caves, tunnels and churches into the tufa for protection from the elements and enemies. Early Christians in particular took refuge from persecution here. There's far more tourism here now than when I last visited in 1990, but more is open to see, so it kind of evens out. Here's a shot from 1990 of the cliffs at the Goreme Open Air Museum:


I'm reasonably sure this more recent photo, of our tour group (I'm in the green bowler hat) is near the same spot:
Here are a few of the stranger formations from ground level, the first looks rather like a camel, doesn't it, and the one after it rather like a hand?





Kit and I taking it all in...
And in 1990, when I was younger and so much skinnier!

No comments: