background

Friday, January 10, 2014

The Grand Bazaar & the Spice Bazaar

One of the oldest buildings in Istanbul is the Grand Bazaar, still selling everything your heart could desire, from jewelry to leather, textiles to ceramics...well, too much to catalog:



Compare the crowds today with 1990:

A beautiful tiled fountain in the Grand Bazaar:
I don't remember so many cats from my prior trip to Turkey, but there are plenty around today; these are the Grand Bazaar's:
I don't even know how I managed to get any photos of the Spice Bazaar this time around - I think there were at least two cruise ship's worth of people packed into it and we had great difficulty even getting into the building (built 1597-1664). Anyway, I doubt there's a spice or sweet on earth you can't get there:


No comments: