Established in Lisbon originally (1290), the University of Coimbra was relocated several times until it came to its permanent rest here in 1537.
King João III, who moved it to Coimbra
Students wear black pants or skirts, white shirts, and a distinctive black wool cape, which they tear from the hem upward and line with badges and patches that represent their major field of study, where they come from, what affiliations they have, etc.
When it was moved to Coimbra, it was established in the Alcaçova Palace:
King Dinis, perhaps, its original founder?
Mosaic of the University seal:
An expansive central courtyard called "Scholars' Square" is ringed by buildings